Money and Finance Summit 2017
The 13th Global Trade Matters Money & Finance Summit on Global Competitiveness was held on Tuesday 14th of November and Wednesday 15th of November 2017 at Nile Ritz Carlton Hotel – Cairo.
Since 2015 Global Trade Matters has placed great focus on analyzing Egypt’s performance on the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) while enhancing the competitiveness dialogue amongst the key stakeholders in both the private and public sectors. In 2016, Global Trade Matters launched the “Compete Egypt Private Sector Initiative” aiming at improving Egypt’s ranking to 99 on the GCI by 2017-2018.
In September 2017, the WEF launched its annual 2017-2018 Global Competitiveness Report which ranked Egypt as the 100th most competitive nation in the world. Thanks to a comprehensive economic reform program, Egypt moved up the GCI ranking by 15 places (from 115 to 100). Even by global standards this is an impressive and significant performance improvement and a clear indication of the restoration of confidence by local and international investors in the national economy.
More than 50 expert speakers and 600 delegates came together for two days to analyze Egypt’s performance on the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index 2017-2018. Based on the 12 Pillars of Global Competitiveness the CGI covers key areas of any nation’s economy; institutions, infrastructure, macroeconomic environment, health and primary education, higher education and training, goods market efficiency, labor market efficiency, financial market development, technological readiness, market size, business sophistication, and innovation.
While Egypt saw positive movements on all of the 12 Pillars of Global Competitiveness, many sub-pillars still remain raking in the high 100s. The 13th Money & Finance Summit on Global Competitiveness 2017 discussed and analyzed the performance of these sub-pillars and shared ideas and recommendations on how to improve on these key issues within the coming year.
We gathered to analyze and discuss Egypt’s performance on the CGI and better understand the impact of the recent economic reforms on Egypt’s overall global competitiveness.
- Dr. Claire Spencer – Senior Research Fellow – The Royal Institute for International Affairs (Chatham House UK)
- HE Markus Leitner – Embassy of Switzerland in Egypt – Ambassador
- Mr. Michael Bolliger – UBS – Deputy CIO Emerging Markets
- Mr. Mohamed Ashmawy – Tahya Misr Fund – Executive Director
- Mr. Abdullah Al Shaheen – First Equity Partners – Chairman
- Mr. Omar Maghawry – First Equity Partners – Vice Chairman
- Nancy Maghrabi – Global Trade Matters – Chairperson
- Dr. Mohamed Omran – Egyptian Stock Exchange – Chairman
- Mr. Chad Evans – Global Federation for Competitiveness Councils – Board Member
- Dr. Hoda Awad – Misr International University – Prof. of Political Science
- Eng. Hosssam El Cheikh – Ministry of Trade & Industry – International Trade Expert
- Mr. Aly El Shalakany – Shalakany Law Office – Senior Partner
- Mr. Atter Hannoura – Ministry of Finance – Director PPP Central Unit
- Mr. Jesus Caviedes – CEMEX Egypt – Vice President Commercial and Logistics
- Mr. David A. Kirby – The British University in Egypt – Vice President (Enterprise and Community Service)
- Mr. Sherif ElGhatrifi – BUPA Egypt Insurance – Man
- Sara Lekas – American International Schools – Principle Early Childhood
- Ghada Ghazal – Global Academy for Training and Development – Executive Director
- Dr. Amany Bassyouni – Misr International University – Head Of Mass Communications Department
- HE Gamal Bayoumi – Arab Investors Union – Chairman Ambassador
- Mr. Mohamed Kassem – World Trading Company (WTC) – Chairman
- Mr. Joseph Mancuso – CEO Clubs Worldwide – Founder
- Mr. J.P. LI – CEO Clubs International & China Chapter – Chief Executive Officer
- Ms. Soha Soliman – The Social Fund for Development – Managing Director
- Mr. Mahmoud Abel Latif – ALEX BANK – Former Chairman
- Mr. Karim Helal – Carbon Holding – Managing Director Corporate Finance
- Mr. Basel El Hini – Misr Insurance Holding – Vice Chairman Finance & Investment
- Dr. Walid Abel Rahim – KFW Bank – Deputy Director
- Mr. Yasser Ibrahim – Commerzbank AG – Representative Office Cairo – Senior Representative-Director
- Mr. Hussein El Gueretly – ITIDA – Former Chief Executive Officer
- Mr. Sherif Hashem – National Telecom Regulatory Authority – Vice President
- Eng. Sherif Taher – Ministry of Communications and Information Technology – Director of PPP Unit
- Mr. Con O’Donnell – RiseUp – Co-Founder
- Mr. David Harmon – Huawei Technologies – Vice President Global Public Affairs
- Mr. Mohamed El-Sherif – Logic Management Consulting – Chief Executive Officer
- Mr. Douglas Anderson – Managing Partner – Anderson Associates Intl.
- Ms. Morouj Ibrahim – Senior Anchor – CBC eXtra TV
- Mr. Omar Khalifa – Managing Director – Omedia
- Mr. Yasser Hakim – Senior Correspondent – CCTV 9
- Mr. Ahmed Dahab – General Manager – SAIB Bank
- Mr. Ashraf Naguib – CEO – Global Trade Matters
- HE Nabil Fahmy – Dean School of Public Policy – AUC
- HE Dalia Khorsid – Minister – Ministry of Investment
- Mr. Hassan Hussien – Chairman – Al Oula
- Mr. Ismael Mohamed Eid – Vice President – EgyProjects
- Dr. Abdulwahab Ghandour – Acting Secretary General – Educational Development Fund
- Dr. Amal Rashdan – Chief Executive Officer – Egyptian American for Investment and Development
- Mr. Ahmed El Shaer – TV Host – El Mehwar Tv